Founded in 1968, Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Bid Manager to join our head offices in Abergavenny. This is a Hybrid role with 3 days required working at our office in Abergavenny and 2 days working remotely.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Our Pre-construction team is responsible for tendering large infrastructure projects and frameworks throughout Wales, the Midlands and South West England. Strong teamwork, good communication and time management skills and a keen eye for attention to detail will be needed.
To lead, manage and co-ordinate all aspects of a bid for capital projects and major frameworks; ensuring high quality proposals are delivered that reflect Griffiths’ values and business strategy.
- To ensure the bid process is efficiently managed in accordance with our Tender Process, complying with corporate governance and that our submissions provide the maximum opportunity for success for both the contractor and our customers.
- Formulate and agree bid strategy to meet client requirements and secure sustainable, profitable contracts in line with the business strategy
- Manage, write and prepare pre-qualification and tender quality submissions
- Liaison with estimating team during tender (but not responsible for actual pricing of tenders)
- Lead the presentation of Tender Settlement meetings for large and multiple bids
- Obtain feedback on tender submissions and implement improvements
- Produce and deliver high quality presentations for marketing, prequalification and tender purposes
- Manage design partners to co-ordinate tender-stage design proposals during the bid period.
- Assist with public relations, advertising programs, corporate identity development and implementation, special events and market research activities
- Represent the company with clients, the public and the wider construction industry
- Collaboration with internal business units and external companies to deliver market-leading proposals.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will have previous bid management and bid writing experience, ideally within a highways/rail/civil engineering industry background.
You will have experience of leading a tender team and also be able to work independently on bids. You’ll be creative, consistently work to high standards and find innovative ways to add value to bids. You’ll be a great team player, take a real sense of pride in your work and ideally have a competitive personality as we’re bidding against our competitors!
- Ability to manage bids from cradle to grave including bid strategy, writing and editing the quality submission and operational hand-over.
- Excellent team building and communication skills, with strong resilience and flexibility.
- Sound business acumen and financially astute with good risk management knowledge.
- Understanding of design management with some engineering knowledge
- Sound understanding of tender requirements to ensure compliant bids
- Capable of managing a team of people contributing to a Quality Submission for large bids
- High standard of writing for Technical Submissions
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint mandatory)
- Performs well in a team environment
- Customer-centric approach with the ability to recognise potential opportunities within bids
- In depth understanding of construction industry terminology and delivery methods
- Contractually aware and conversant with common forms of contract – NEC, JCT etc.
- Able to work to strict deadlines
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree/or equivalent with ideally 6 to 10 years of civil engineering experience*
- Without a degree, ideally 10 years+ civil engineering experience*
- Professional qualification such as IEng/CEng MICE/APM desirable
Job applications are processed by our parent company, Tarmac. Clicking apply will take you to their website, but don't worry - your application will be sent through to the careers team at Alun Griffiths
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Company car/car allowance (where applicable)
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks)
- We currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female voice and Menopause’
- Training and development opportunities
Griffiths, a CRH company, is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.