This role will be working for Alun Griffiths (part of Tarmac). Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a General Foreperson to join our friendly team to work on our A40 Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross road construction/highways project.
The project consists of the construction a new off-line 6km carriageway. As well as the road construction works, there will be new structures: two precast bridges, multiple culverts, attenuation ponds, accommodation tracks and detrunking and active travel facilities. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with highways, structures, earthworks and drainage industry experience.
The project has commenced but has a significant term left, and then this position would then continue within the thriving Alun Griffiths Business within the South Wales region.
The works will be carried out on the A40 in Llanddewi Velfrey, near Narbeth, and so we will be looking to receive applications from candidates based within a one hour radius of this location or from candidates willing to relocate. Carmarthen would be the closest town, approximately 20 minutes east.
Reporting to the Site Agent you will be responsible a variety of tasks including:
- Supervising 5/6 gangs at one time
- Providing health and safety leadership to the operational delivery site team
- Ensuring the teams are organised and well-motivated to safely meet the required programme milestones (installation of carriageway and structures: culverts, overhead bridges and other earthworks/drainage construction and maintenance)
- Providing daily briefings and toolbox talks to teams
- Providing regular updates to line management on work delivery and progress
- Setting site teams to work safely in accordance with assessed construction risks and adherence with the defined control measures
- Set site teams to work safely in accordance with assessed construction risks and effectively communicate the control measures and ensure they are maintained.
- Promoting and maintaining effective client and stakeholder relationships to protect and enhance the company’s reputation to enable repeat business
- Upholding the core company values, inspire and encouraging the same throughout the team
- Ensuring the timely ordering and delivery of all plant and equipment appropriate for safe delivery of the works and is secured and maintained effectively
- Be a TEAM player
- Plan ahead and get involved with safe systems of work
- Control plant and labour within your area to be efficient and safe
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have a Civil Engineering background ideally with experience of Highways/Road Construction projects. Earthworks/Drainage experience would be beneficial. They will also have experience of supervising gangs or similar team dynamics. They will also possess:
- Strong personal and organisational skills
- An understanding of site policies and procedures
- An understanding of on-site Health and Safety policies and procedures
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- To be responsive to the needs of internal and external customers and colleagues
- CSCS qualification
- Confined space (desirable)
- Environmental Training (Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme – SEATS)
- Fist Aid at Work (desirable)
- Streetworks operative (desirable)
- Temporary Works Supervisor (desirable)
- Able to work site hours Mon – Fri 07.30 -17.30
- Able to work occasional nights and weekend shifts.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Company car/car allowance (where applicable)
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks)
- We currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female voice and Menopause’
- Training and development opportunities
Griffiths, a CRH company, is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Job applications are processed by our parent company, Tarmac. Clicking apply will take you to their website, but don't worry - your application will be sent through to the careers team at Alun Griffiths