At Griffiths, our people are our company. The way in which we treat people – both our employees and the communities in which we live and work – is a core value that has driven our continued growth over the past five decades. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry. We are a Welsh regional civil engineering and construction contractor with our head office based in Abergavenny. Operating out of regional centres across Wales and England we construct new roads, bridges and railways as well as maintaining existing developments.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are currently looking to recruit a Project Manager to join our team in South Wales initially delivering a £15million flood defence scheme in the Newport area.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The Project Manager would have the overall responsibility for the safe, timely and profitable delivery of the Project whilst maintaining a high level of quality/environmental awareness and developing customer relationships. They are to ensure that works activities are carried out efficiently and to agreed programme and specification. They would manage and develop team members individual performance, identify strengths/weaknesses in order to contribute to the succession planning of the business. The primary Roles and Responsibilities are listed below:
- Ensure Management Plans and documentation required by company BMS and Contract specific requirements are produced in line with programme, including post-completion documentation, certificates and retention release.
- Appoint project team members competent for type/complexity of project and ensure adequate resource available to safely plan & deliver the project.
- Ensure project appointments in place for TWC, Permits, TSCO, Lifting etc.
- Oversee all Procurement in timely manner in line with BMS requirements to enable best value procurement. Review/manage all sub-contracts.
- Oversee development of Programme in line with contract requirements
- Lead the production of Project Cost Plan and monthly updates to ensure project delivered to required commercial targets.
- Manage site operations to maximise operational effectiveness and efficiency by understanding, adjusting and delivering an agreed scope & strategy based on tender principles. Agree & review with team all cost & productivity targets
- Ensure Contract is operated correctly and required notifications provided in timely manner, ensure payment applications are issued and in line with project forecasts and expectations. Maintain project risk/opportunity register.
- Contribute to and where required produce commercial, H&S and progress reports required by Operations Director
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Project Manager should possess the following attributes/skills:
- Customer Focus – See things from the customer’s perspective and address underlying customer needs
- Continuous Improvement – Initiate improvements; spot opportunities to develop new ideas and improve performance
- Leadership – Define clear objectives, expectations & roles. Involve others in decisions and ideas where appropriate
- Developing People – Help individuals to understand their strengths and weaknesses & encourage them to take responsibility for development
- Communication – Tailor communication to relevant audience; use relevant facts and benefits to construct sound, persuasive arguments; check understanding by seeking feedback
- Teamwork – Involve others; encourage others to express their views and ideas and listen well to what they say; build team spirit
- Drive – Approach challenges with energy & enthusiasm; overcome obstacles to meet goals & standards, encourage others to improve
- Confidence – Deal confidently with senior managers, colleagues and customers; seek challenging roles and projects outside comfort zone; admit to mistakes and learn from them.
- Flexibility – Change own approach in line with new priorities; reflect on situations & learn from experience; open to feedback from others, taking time to listen; keep up-to-date with specific technical and functional skills
- Thinking Skills – Consider all potential causes and underlying causes of a problem; quickly identify the cause of a problem; take full ownership for resolving problems and implementing action
We are looking for a candidate ideally with strong Civil Engineering experience who has previously managed construction teams within an operational environment who possesses the following skills/experience:
- Extensive experience of Civil Engineering industry
- Strong personal and organisational skills
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Good attention to detail
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- To be responsive to the needs of internal and external customers and colleagues
- Preferably a further education qualification e.g. Degree or HND/HNC (ideally relatable to Civil Engineering)
- CSCS qualification
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Griffiths, a CRH company, is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Job applications are processed by our parent company, Tarmac. Clicking apply will take you to their website, but don't worry - your application will be sent through to the careers team at Alun Griffiths