Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We’re now recruiting for a Senior Civil Engineer experienced with Highways projects to join our team covering sites in Mid and North Wales.
All sites will be a commutable distance from your region so you’ll be home every night, no need for working away.
The Senior Civil Engineer is to provide site engineering duties, to a number of projects within the region, including the supervision of trainee and site engineers within the region. The role involves establishing the level and survey control for contracts and setting out detailed works as per the contract drawings, ensuring that checks are made on a regular basis.
On a day to day basis, the Senior Engineer’s duties and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) the following and in the following categories:
- Establish the level and survey control for contracts.
- Set out detailed works as per the contract drawings ensuring that checks are made on a regular basis.
- Review the drawings and specification to identify errors and omissions and bring these to the attention of the project team via TQ’s.
- Ensure records regarding health and safety and the work environment are complete, accurate and comply with organisational and legal requirements.
- Assist the Site Agent/Sub Agent in developing efficient work methods and techniques, ensuring the best use of resources and abilities are made.
- Deputise for the Sub/Site Agent where required.
- Ensure all RAMS are in place prior to works commencing.
- Compile ITPs and ensure that they are all in place prior to works commencing.
- Carry out instrumental checks in accordance with the agreed guidelines and schedule.
- Complete records of quality audits in accordance with agreed procedures and timescales i.e. at the end of works.
- Give feedback to the Site Agent/Sub Agent regarding areas where corrective action needs to be taken.
- Maintain programme and identify opportunities.
- Record resources and monitor outputs against programme.
- Ensure the availability of resources and that they consistently meet Griffiths and the client’s requirements for quality, quantity and prompt delivery.
- Deal with any actual or potential problems with resources promptly liaising with the Site Agent where necessary.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships between operatives and staff; client and contractor; suppliers and contractors; public and contractors; and subcontractors and contractors.
- Obtain all ‘as built’ information ensuring that it is accurate and relevant.
- Record, store and maintain records and correspondence in line with organisational and legal requirements.
- Site Teams and Operatives
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate is likely to meet all of the following criteria:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience delivering highways drainage and roadworks.
- Civil Engineering related qualification (HNC, HND, BSc MSc, BEng, MEng).
- The ability to manage and control tasks and lead a team.
- Site Supervisory Safety Training SSSTS (minimum)/Site Management Safety Training SMSTS (preferred).
- Relevant CSCS Card.
- Other relevant training (preferred includes Confined Space entry and management, NRSWA, CPCS Appointed Person, relevant lifting training and temporary works co-ordination).
- Understanding of Engineering Principles and extensive technical knowledge of
- Ability to challenge designs and resolve problems to conclusion
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Project, AutoCAD, Civils 3D, LSS or similar
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities