Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Setting Out Engineer to join our friendly team to work on our forthcoming A40 Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross road construction/highways project. The project consists of the construction a new off-line 6km carriageway. As well as the road construction works, there will be new structures: two precast bridges, multiple culverts, attenuation ponds, accommodation tracks and detrunking and active travel facilities. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with highways, structures, earthworks and drainage industry experience.
Whilst the project will commence around Summer 2021, this position will then continue within the thriving Alun Griffiths Business within the South Wales region.
The works will be carried out on the A40 in Llanddewi Velfrey, near Narbeth, and so we will be looking to receive applications from candidates based within a one hour radius of this location or from candidates willing to relocate. Carmarthen would be the closest town, approximately 20 minutes east.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds with a team approach of working together to achieve the success of this project.
Reporting directly to the section Agent you will be expected to understand and accept verbal and written instruction and be responsible for:
- Setting-out the works in line with the construction programme.
- Ensure required Setting Out is undertaken in timely manner using the latest Design Information to enable operations to progress effectively and provide material quantity requirements to Works Manager/Section Agent to enable timely delivery of required materials.
- Promote and lead the site safety culture. Ensure that all works are carried out in a planned, controlled, and safe manner, in accordance with statutory regulations, current standards, and the Company SHEQ standards.
- Writing and developing Method Statements, Risk Assessments and Permits where required for all activities in advance of the work allowing for timely approvals.
- Ensure contemporary Record Keeping through the maintenance of a site diary.
- Daily programming and planning of work operations.
- Ensuring all works are undertaken in accordance with company Health and Safety Rules and Procedures.
- Reporting any unsafe act or defect to your Line Manager.
- Liaise with fellow members of the project team and client’s representatives on site.
- Record any Near Misses on the Near Miss Cards, completed cards to be provided to the Safety Manager.
- Monitor delivery of the project, identifying risk and opportunities to optimise project delivery, reporting key risks/opportunities to the Section Agent.
- Review Inspection and Test Plans with the Section Agent and ensure the required inspections and testing is undertaken and documented in the relevant file in accordance with the Project Management Plan. Ensure Section Agent is notified one week prior where external testing is required.
- Provide Quality Co-Ordinator with the required QA documentation for collation and submission to the Employer.
- Review all relevant design information and raise Technical Queries where required on the AGCL Technical Query Form. TQs to be provided to Section Agent for review and onward submission. Ensure responses are monitored and inform Section Agent of non-response.
- Document control of drawings and technical queries to ensure correct information always being used.
- Continual updating of as-built drawings on site and maintain measurement records to be submitted to Section Agent on Weekly Basis. As-Built drawings to be marked by hand on a “clean” set of “First Issue Construction Drawings”.
- Ensure all Survey/Testing Equipment has a current calibration certificate and maintain the Equipment Register for all Survey, Testing and Inspection equipment in their use using AGCL Equipment Register
- Ensure all works are undertaken in accordance with the RAMS and that Hold Points are adhered to and actioned accordingly. Any non-conformities to be reported immediately to the section Agent.
- Ensure all Permits to Work (Excavation, Hot Works, Confined Spaces, Electrical Connections) are raised on relevant forms, issued, and filed with a copy of Permit issued to appropriate Ganger and briefed accordingly.
- Undertaking survey work and as-built surveys.
- Mentor trainee engineers to develop and learn the necessary skills whilst ensuring control of any delegated activities.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have a Civil Engineering background with experience of Highways/Road Construction projects. They will have ideally 5 years minimum Post-Graduate experience within a Trainee Engineer role. They will also have had exposure to Drainage and Earthworks within their previous roles and/or reinforced concrete structures. They will also possess:
- Strong personal and organisational skills
- Experience of reading drawings and using GPS equipment
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Good attention to detail
- To be self-motivated and be able to prioritise and manage workload
- To be responsive to the needs of internal and external customers and colleagues
- Looking to progress individuals career
- Passion for keeping people safe and improving themselves, cultures and individuals
- Customer focus and the ability to build relationships.
- Good negotiation skills
- An ability to plan and organise works safely and efficiently.
- Excellent organisation ability
- A preference for teamworking and collaboration
- A good understanding of current methods and up to date knowledge of specifications and contract principles
- Keen to become an Institution of Civil Engineers member
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Company car/car allowance (where applicable)
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks)
- We currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female voice and Menopause’
- Training and development opportunities
Griffiths, a CRH company, is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Job applications are processed by our parent company, Tarmac. Clicking apply will take you to their website, but don't worry - your application will be sent through to the careers team at Alun Griffiths