Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We’re now recruiting for a Skilled Operative for our Transport for Wales Railway Framework for the transformation of the Core Valley Lines. The opportunity is based in South Wales, initially at Aberdare.
The purpose of these roles is to ensure the safe delivery of station and lineside civils upgrades to the Core Valley Lines network, including new stations, new bridges and improved station facilities.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The Skilled Operative will be responsible a variety of tasks including:
- Supporting their Team Leader to deliver works safely, efficiently and profitably in accordance with railway industry standards, construction industry standards and company standards.
- Taking responsibility on Health and Safety matters including point of work risk assessments for each job/project, so a safe method of working is achieved.
- Operating plant and machinery as required in accordance with individual competencies and company procedures.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
To be successful in this role you will have experience of working within the railway industry. You will also:
- Possess a minimum of 5 years’ experience of railway civil engineering work or comparable work in a general civils business
- Personal Track Safety competence and experience of working on or near the line
- OLEC 1 competency
- Competency and experience in operating plant (e.g. telehandler, dumper etc) and competency and experience in using small tools
- Streetworks qualification and First Aid at Work is desirable
- IT literate
- Possess full UK driving licence
- Asbestos Awareness
- COSHH Awareness
Job applications are processed by our parent company, Tarmac. Clicking apply will take you to their website, but don't worry - your application will be sent through to the careers team at Alun Griffiths
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Company car/car allowance (where applicable)
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks)
- We currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female voice and Menopause’
- Training and development opportunities
Griffiths, a CRH company, is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.