Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are now recruiting for a Safe Work Leader / Person In Charge (SWL/PIC) for Core Valley Lines and Network Rail. You will be responsible for the safety of staff working on the railway infrastructure in accordance with NR/L2/0HS/019 Safety Of People At Work On Or Near the Line.
The role comes with a Company Van & Fuel Card.
Typical projects are new stations, platform extensions, new footbridges and lineside civils.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As a Supervisor/Person in Charge you will be responsible for supporting the safe delivery of a project in accordance with HASWA SSSTS and NR/L2/0HS/019 Safety of people at work on or near the line, Safety Critical & company policies/ procedures. You will also follow work instructions ensuring that approved project documentation is compiled & communicated and understood by those responsible for the safe and effective implementation.
On a day to day basis, the successful candidate’s duties and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Setting up safe systems of work in accordance with NR/L2/0HS/019- GERT 8000 HB 7 or High street Environment working.
- Be involved in the planning and has full accountability of supervising and overseeing the works
- Compile all paperwork as required and complete daily shift reports along with after shift reporting.
- Providing Health and Safety leadership to the site delivery team and promote behavioural safety improvements
- Ensuring the policies and procedures of the Rail Management System are fully discharged within their area of responsibility.
- Ensuring that the site team rigorously adhere to TFW & Network Rail’s Life Saving Rules and project specific reporting requirements
- Uphold the core company values, inspire and encourage the same throughout the site team
- Proactively engaging the Close Call reporting system, reporting anything that you see which is likely to endanger either your own safety or others’ health and safety
- Ensuring that you have been trained and assessed as competent to undertake that tasks you are assigned, and understand the controls identified to safely manage the risks associated with construction & Safety Critical activities
- Providing support to ensure that project environmental risks, objectives and targets are met
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have the following essential and desirable capabilities and competencies:
- Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) or Higher (mandatory)
- Controller of Site Safety (mandatory)
- Ideally have around 2-4 years’ experience in a similar role, but any other relevant experience may also be taken into consideration
- Personal Track Safety Certification
- Leadership qualities
- Relevant CSCS card
- Trade specific qualification and/or demonstrable competence
- First Aid at Work (3 Day)
- NVQ Level 3 – Construction Site Supervision
- Site Managers Safety Training scheme (SMSTS)
- 4 years relevant experience in a rail / Safety Critical & construction role
- Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme (SEATS)
- ALO Coordinator
- Fire Marshal
- Knowledge of CDM 2015 regulations
Job applications are processed by our parent company, Tarmac. Clicking apply will take you to their website, but don't worry - your application will be sent through to the careers team at Alun Griffiths
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Company car/car allowance
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities (employee networks)
- We currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+, Parents & Carers, Ability, Wellbeing, Female voice and Menopause’
- Training and development opportunities
Griffiths, a CRH company, is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.